It is berry season in Alaska, full swing! Last weekend I went blueberry picking with my family and Bret and I came home with almost FIVE POUNDS of blueberries! I am really looking forward to going picking again. My mom and I have blueberry jam plans and Bret knows what is good for him – he will help me pick until the cows come home because it means more blueberry baked goods for him to eat!!!
Bret and I live way out in the woods and last summer I had noticed we had a lot of raspberry bushes in the yard, but I never got around to picking. Well this year I was determined to pick them! So tonight I did. I could’ve gotten more, but half the berries were not ripe, over ripe, or way in the bush so I couldn’t get to them without getting covered in bugs/stickers. But I got a good cup and a half, at least! So I decided to make some muffins. For some reason I was attracted to the idea of a lemon raspberry muffin, but these ones didnt turn out too lemony…
1 Cup Milk (I used skim)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 Cup white sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 large egg
1/4 Cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup AP Flour
1 cup Whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 Cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 400F Combine milk and 1 tbsp lemon juice to make buttermilk substitute, set aside.
2. Combine sugar, lemon juice, egg, oil, vanilla and buttermilk. Mix until combined, set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. Pour liquids into dry ingredients, mix until just combined.
4. Gently fold in raspberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes.
The original recipe called for grinding lemon rind with sugar. I don’t keep lemons around the house, so I just added lemon juice to the sugar, and I can’t really taste the lemon in the muffins at all. Other than that, they are super delicious! And the fresh raspberries make them AWESOME.